For those of you who are data nerds like myself, you may enjoy seeing some of the raw data behind our Semester by the Numbers post last week. Some of these numbers are estimates, so assume there is a small margin of error in there. Either way, if you like quantitative data, you may like our full year in review via numbers. (As a side note, the last blog was just the past semester, and the numbers have been slightly revised since, mostly based on the online syllabi for renal that did not get incorporated into the original count.)
Stats for the Year
As for the Rest
Please fill out the RedCap for your favorite professors in the next day or two.
If you are still on campus, clean up your carrel a bit. You do NOT have to clean out your carrel, but maybe take out anything that can attract ants over the summer.
Otherwise, have a great summer!
Katherine and Reed
MS2019 Student Government Cabinet Meeting
Secretary: Hannah Justice
1:15pm Roll Call
Cheers and Jeers
- Mikey Kutschke: Cheers to Dr. Lee!
- Evan Barrios: Cheers to United to Serve. We’re happy with community and volunteer turnout!
- Caroline Flowers: The second floor ladies bathrooms now have trashcans in the stalls (been asking since October)!!!!
- Katherine Pouns: Jeers to PPTs not being uploaded before class
- Caroline Flowers: Jeers to Kidneys!
- Kaden’s Farm: Katherine Pouns
- Please keep responding to the survey we sent out!
- The event will occur Saturday at 4pm and is happening rain or shine.
- Be there if you can!
- Charger/Standing Desks Proposal Submitted – Reed Macy
- Thanks to everyone who read the proposal and came back with some feedback!
- There will be a bit of a lag in response, but it seems pretty positive
- Note: This is NOT set in stone. This is designed to be a test. Some money will be allocated to purchase chargers and standing desks and then the results will be evaluated.
- Constitution Update [Philadelphia Committee] – Evan Barrios and Alice Jean
- Thank you for all the time and help and everyone who sent in feedback.
- We’ve tried to come back with compromises so that everyone can be satisfied with the result.
- Please feel free to approach the Committee afterwards and send them emails with any questions and comments.
- They also just sent out a handbook that each student government member assisted in writing for next year’s student government members – the “survival guide” for student government.
- The constitution is available and can be signed today if we’ve read and approve of the constitution.
- Looking Ahead: Reed Macy and Katherine Pouns
- There is one more cabinet meeting between now and the end of the school year.
- What will be happening over the summer that falls within your roles? Let’s address things next meeting that may need to be discussed pre-summer or regarding next semester.
- Ideas of Topics Needing Discussion: Electives, New Student Events and Issues, Other items
- Plan ahead if you need to accomplish things involving other people and Katherine or Reed!
- Reed and Katherine may set aside time or a few days where they are willing to meet with people to discuss summer planning and jobs.
- Potential 2nd Potluck:
- This would possibly be on May 20th since it’s a Friday Sim Session. There’s nothing going on besides the required Sim lab.
- If you are interested we can get going and if you have ideas about themes or other aspects of it let them know.
- This is also in the budget!
- We can attempt to do 11:30-1:30 to hopefully accommodate everyone so people won’t miss it due to Sims.
- We could even do it outside to change up the scenery!
- Potential Fundraising Items [Antique Roadshow Committee] – Arjun Aggarwal and Cody Wolfe
- TBL approved water bottles
- We are limited in style. Not all vendors offer all the options.
- Logo design is important!
- Prices are scaled to orders, so we would need to scale interest. Perhaps ask student center regarding incoming MS0s and their wants.
- Mikey Kutschke – Let’s ensure that we have approval to use the logo.
- Note: If we are making a profit, we have only one day a month to make money and collect it.
- Arjun: Suzi says you can’t change certain aspects of the logo and you can’t put it into a new design. But we should check if we can sell and make money off the logo.
- We can sell these for-profit or just shoot to break even.
- To firm up the quotes: We need to know how much the budget will allow us to buy.
- How much demand do you think is still out there for water bottles? There will be some demand, but we’ll likely sell more with the incoming class.
- Is there a way to do it through the student center?
- We could do it through the student center with samples that incoming students can see.
- We could also have a baseline inventory we expect to sell out and then perhaps purchase more?
- Bethany Werner: We could likely say what brand we’re offering with a UTSW logo on it and people would know what to expect and make a choice regarding whether they want to purchase one.
- Let them know what we know about demand for waterbottles – email Cody/Arjun.
- Class T-Shirts
- There is a wide range of prices.
- We want class t-shirts, but we need an idea of interest in formal vs funny and the type of shirt.
- Do we want multiple designs or one design? Multiple designs would increase prices due to fewer purchases.
- Do we want high quality or low quality material – again prices will reflect this.
- What do we think is a good range of t-shirt prices?
- <$20. $10-15 definitely.
- A $20 shirt should not be funny though; people would want a more serious topic
- What do you need from us?
- If you have design ideas let Arjun know or if you have feedback regarding kinds of t-shirts.
- We will likely do a FB poll regarding demand/interest.
- UWorld – Survey For Discount – Reed Macy
- We will be checking out interest in a discount.
- Assume you’ll have to cut a check by the end of the month if you want the discount.
- Budget this! -> Look at what they offer and assume 5-10% discount.
- If you pay, you must activate your account within 30 days so they realize you exist. However, activating your account isn’t the same as starting your time of study – you can choose when you begin your 6 months or your 12 months of usage.
- Are there other things that you’ve heard people talk about that could possibly have a class discount? Let Reed and Katherine know!
- Budgetary Update – Reed Macy
- A note on expenses: submit them!
- We have updated quarterly finances – if you want a copy ask and Reed can email you one.
- Income: $0
- We started with $2430, the university gave $1900 and the rest was medical instrument sales.
- All college accounts are 100% except Fashena and Sprague. Senators – you have budgets! You can submit expenses!
- $100 was allocated for field day and nothing was put against that either. If you bought anything submit expenses!
- Evan Barrios: Field Day is covered by the Student Affairs Office apparently.
- We could possibly use money in the budget to incentivize participation in the future.
- We have approximately $400 in the general fund.
- The socials fund has been tapped out, but we are comfortable rebalancing if you have something you really want to do.
- Candlelight Vigil was underbudget by $4.
- Faculty Roast was underbudget by $17.
- Faculty Excellence reception was overbudget by $150 due to giving out plaques versus certificates. We may rework the budget to allow this again next year as we wanted to do something nicer for the faculty.
- Catherine Flowers: Does the money to decorate carrels come from senator accounts or Pre-OP accounts? Can we get confirmation on that? Otherwise we can do an end of the year party with the budget!
- Evan Wright: DIA has Committees being made! Please get involved! Evan will send an email regarding this.
- Test Review for Pulmonology: Wednesday the 11th.
- Currently, course directors are encouraging more redcap response by withholding the exam review until REDCAP reaches 75%. We are currently at 50%.